Friday, May 29, 2009

All About Myself

A few weeks ago, Ms. Mwanza the head teacher of our school, gave her 7th grade students an assignment to write about themselves. She had done this with several classes before and decided it was worth repeating. She show me a few of them. She thought it would be nice to have they typed out. Since the school is without a computer o any kind, I volunteered to do it in the evenings at the Chishawasha business office (and my Zambian home). After reading just one of them, I asked for permission to use them on my blog.

The first student's story was of special interest to me because I was along the day he took what seemed a sad ride to Chishawasha and then he had the joyous reunion with a cousin. Here Amos' story:

All About Myself

My name is Amos Chindalo. I'm 13 years old and in grade 7. The name of my school is the Colin B. Glassco Primary School.

My mother's name was Veronica Tembo. She died when I was 11 years old. She was 31 years old.

My father's name was Paul Chindalo. He also died when I was 11 and was 31 years old when he died.

In my family, we were two, my sister and I. My sister died before I was born so I am alone. I feel bad because all my family is gone.

After the death of my parents, I went to live with my grandmother. She sent me to a school called ZOCS. I started my grade one. I was there up to the 6th grade. Grandma later heard bout the Colin G. Glassco Primary School. She brought me here. I was put in grade four because I couldn't read. Today I am in grade seven and I read and write well.

My favorite subjects are R.E. (Religious Educ.), math, English, science and social studies.

My hobbies are reading, playing football and praying.

When I grow up, I want to be a pilot. I want to be a pilot because I want to help passengers to travel from one country to another. I would also like to be a pilot because I want to know many countries, how they look and how big are the oceans and how it feels to fly in the air.

I will work hard so that I become a pilot. And I should know how to operate many things and must know many tribes. I think it will be better for me. And I must look smart and be careful for my batteries in the airplane. And one more thing to be a pilot, you must be intelligent.

* * * * * *

All About Myself

My name is Boston Lupupa. I was born in 1996 in Northern Province, District Mpika, Chief Luehembe. My mother left when I was very small and I don't know her years.

About my parents, my father was a fisherman. One day, while he was at the river, he was beaten and he came back sick and died. My father's parents thought that my mother's parents were responsible for my father's death. They bribed someone who was a witch, by giving him goats. He witched my grandparents. They didn't recover. They were brought home and an African medicine was tried but they never got well. They both died. After a month of their deaths, my mother got sick too and died. My parents had two boys and one girl. We were taken on by my uncle, who was just a young boy and he is still very young.

He left the village and came to Lusaka with us in 2002. He put us in school but he had to struggle mostly to feed us because he had no job. Luckily after some years he heard about this school and brought me here. I am lucky because the school provides everything for me. I am doing well. I hope to pass my examination. And when I finish my education, I want to go back to my village to see my sister and my aunties.
* * * * * * *

All About Myself

My name is Rachael Chibuyo. I am 14 and in grade seven. My favorite subjects are English, social studies, and science. When I grow up I want to be a journalist. I live in Chishawasha and my teacher's name is Ms Mwanza.

My hobbies are singing, reading, playing with friends and listening to music. I am very kind to many people. I love ppeople and I like laughting with people.

My mum was Salome. My aunt tells me that my mum and dad were good people, if someone in her family needed help, she would help. It make me happy to know that my mum and dad were kind people. They died when I was very small.

My brothers are Ali and Mula. My sister is Ngoi. My grandmother died in 2004 when I was alreaday here. She wasa a good woman.
* * * * * * *

About Myself

My name is Joshua Banda. I am 13 years old. I was born in 1996. I am in grade 7. I learn at Colin B Glassco Primary School. I was boorn in Kabwe.

My mother's name was Kabaso Bwalya. When she died I was 4 years old. My father's name was Joshua Banda. He died when I was 5. When my parents died, my grand mother took me from Kabwe to Lusaka. I stayed for 2 years without going to school Then someone came to our home and asked my gradnmother if she kept orphans, and she said yes. This lady brought me here. I Then starte my grade 4. I am very happy to be here.
* * * * * * * *

About Myself

My name is Mathews Mbewe. I am in and I go to Chishawasha.

My father's name was Patrick. He died in 1994 and left my mother pregnant. My mother's name was Miriam. After some months mum gave birth. After a year whe died. When we lost both parents, we were then taken by my uncle who later died too. We had no one to take us to school; we were just home and getting older. My aunt then heard abaout Chishawasha. She brought us here. We were too old to Start grade 1. I was 13 years old and my brother was 8. We were put in grade four. It was very difficult. The teacher had to fgive us grade one work.

Today I am very happy, I can now understand some of the things I learn. My teacher says I've made great improvement. I thank the owner of the school, my aunt who brought me here and my teacher Ms Mwanza. I pray for them every day. I will never forget them.
* * * * * * *

This is Sam Weeks blog pressing out of Africa (7th grade).

No comments:

Post a Comment