Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Official Opening

About 7 on the bright sunny morning of the event, I went over to the school to see what was going on. This was the location of most that would be happening. A large tent was being put up in the play ground for the visitors but it was covering most of the area where we'd planned for the children to sit and perform. So when Ms Mwanza, the school manager, and the other teachers arrived, we made some quick changes which had the benefit (later) of putting more of the students in the shade during a long hot afternoon. We had not only a large tent for visitors, but also a smaller one for dignitaries.

The MC duties were handled nicely by Bishop Eddy Mulenga, the only complaint was that all his jokes were of the pulpit-tested variety

Jenny Liva as Board Chair made some welcoming remarks. In addition in her role as Chair of Refreshments, she and her chef from Protea Lodge provided wonderful food, I am told (our guests ate what they could and carried off the rest). None of the staff or students got any. Seems the quality of our guests (many were neighbors and guardians or parents of our local students) did not match up with that of the finger food provided. I witnessed one enthusiastic woman jerk out one of the paper doilies from under a plate of little sandwiches and proceed to use it as a plate to carry away as many as she could make it hold.

In planning this function several references were made to the nature of what was to be served. Phillip asked me, "What's finger food?" I started to explain its food you eat with your fingers-- a totally ridiculous definition, since all Zambian food is eaten with your fingers. "A snack, not a meal. Okay."

What all happened? Well the school was named for Colin Glassco to honor him and his foundation for financing it as well as several houses.

In addition I have vivid memories of children singing with full-throated voices, warm, rich harmony and African rhythm; tear raising recitations; adult professional performers of drummers and dancers, men leaping with vibrant and vibrating women; and speeches by dignitaries: Her Royal Highness Chieftainess Mungule (of her tribe and a geographic area, this is not simple!), the Honorable Deputy Minister Friday Mulwa (who came, but not on schedule), Foreign Service Officer from the US Embassy and former teacher, Malia Heroux, and Colin Glassco, Kathe Padilla and Phillip Mvula. There was no shortage of spoken words, but they we not all empty rhetoric. A request as made for more land for a high school and all the personages were present to make that decision and all were in agreement, the exact parcel of land to be announced later. Nothing like that could happen in the US, instant, on-site governmental action. There were other dignitaries but they didn't speak.

The ribbon cuttings opened the school and the houses followed by tours. The function was scheduled to run from 1:45 to 4 pm. It ran from 2 pm till sunset.
I had the opportunity to met some of the guardians of my students.

This Weeks' Interview:
Nicolas Banda, age 14, in the 7th Grade.

When I first met Nicolas 3 years ago, he was a quiet retiring, conscientious student who did his work by himself. His goal then was to be a preacher and from his manor seemed to be half way there. His Bible was his primary reference book. I could always call on him for a prayer and he seemed happy to oblige.

Some changes have taken place in the ensuing years as I learned when starting Writers' Club. The main question he and the other 4 boys wanted to discuss at the first meeting was "How do you talk to girls?" Spiritual maters had been forgotten or waylaid.

He was 8 years old when he came to Chishawasha.
His hobbies: Football and studying.
His goal: He wants to be a footballer when he grows up. Any ideas how you can make that happen? I've got to work hard at school to start.

Your happiest time at Chishawasha: When I first came here.
Your saddest time: When I quarreled with friends. (residents)

Changes you have seen: Many houses have been built since we moved from Olympia in Lusaka. We came by bus to our first house here which was still not completed.

What do you like best? School.
Like least? Playing sports other than football.

What would you like to change? I wouldn't change anything.

Relatives here or nearby? Yes, I have Charles here, my younger brother and Annette (see earlier interview), my older sister. I have an older brother and aunt that I can visit.

What would life have been like without Chishawasha? I couldn't have gone to school. I would have been passed around among my relatives, it would not have been very comfortable.

My father died when I was two, I don't remember him. My first memories are of my grandparents, they raised me. They were still alive when I came to Chishawasha. I came from Lusaka, but the years with my grandparents were in a village.

What would you like to find in the next container? Shoes, soccer shoes, clothes and football (soccer) pads.

If you had the money, what would you do? I'd buy myself a home and cars. Then I would build an orphanage like this one.

This is Sam blog pressing out of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment