Saturday, July 18, 2009

The latest from the real Sam Weeks

This is really me and that only needs to be said because some Nigerian (well that's where he wanted the money sent) co-opted my email account and put out an urgent plea for money to all those on my contact list ostensibly because I was stuck while traveling in Nigeria and lost my pass port and wallet and you were (if so moved and fooled by the bad English) to send money quickly via wire transfer. I knew I'd been locked out of my Yahoo email and was informed that I could not get into that account for security reasons. I 'replied' to Yahoo Security message only to find out that Yahoo was unable to deliver it! Email friends delivered 'my sad message requesting funds' to my by hand. I had no email, has lost my contact list and all my email files. Mostly I wanted my contact list, since I don't remember anyone email address. It took only a few minutes to get another email address, but to whom could I write?

A phone call got me started and slowly I am getting addresses again. It came to me that perhaps putting my new address in this blog would get it to my 3 relatives and my 2 or maybe 3 regular readers and put them back in touch with me again. So if your emails have been undeliverable, please try samweeks23@yahoo.com



A Hot New Stove Arrives

In science class we had just finished studying about the various ways that heat travels when the students were a bit more interested than usual about something happening outside. A large silver, heavy object was being delivered and into the lunchroom doors it went. A little later found that we were the recipient of a special FREE stove from the UN World Food Program. It is very efficient and will reduce charcoal use by a significant amount, it can work with just a bit of kindling and no charcoal.

You don't drive anywhere in this area without seeing charcoal for sale or charcoal on the move. Mainly it is moved by bicycle. So much charcoal is loaded on bikes that they can not be ridden, but must be pushed much of the time. Charcoal is for sale roadside and can also be seen on passing trucks. I have not seen the areas where charcoal is produced but I heard them described. Not an ecologically cheerful sight to say the least.

Well if this stove catches on, those many folks in the charcoal business will need other work, one hopes doing less environmental damage.

But back to my science class. New efficient stove, dealing with heat transfer in a much better way! Oh, its time for a short field trip to the kitchen for 5th grade class inspection. No heat lost via radiation as with the typical Zambian (glowing) charcoal stove. All the heat is directed to and around the large pot which is designed to be held and surrounded by the stove. What a wonderful demo for my class and on just the right day.


Testing

Next week will be taken up with testing and I have been preparing exams for each subject. Something new about this testing session. This will be the first time that the students will receive individual copies of their tests. That is the teachers will not have to write them on the board. Board space is limited and I don't have space to write 50 questions.

Well, we have a copy machine, just like a real school. 'Blackboard' tests often involved students moving around in order to see the question and certainly gave them the chance to better see what other students had done or were doing. And the teacher will not have to be erasing the first part of the test in order to put up the last part. So better monitoring will takes place.

I don't think I am or was a good test taker. Tests have always made me nervous. After all these years of teaching and giving tests, you might be surprised to know they still make me nervous, that special feeling in the pit of your stomach, that tightness occurs, even when I am just giving the test.

Don't let your life be the test for which you forgot to study.

This is the verifiable Sam Weeks blog pressing out of Africa.


No comments:

Post a Comment