Saturday, July 11, 2009

One day.

A volunteer's schedule:

Up at 5:30am and I head for the shower. Hopefully I have remembered last night to 'recharge' the geezer (the hot water heater which was appropriately named Geyser but now through the evolution of language, shares its name with me). Recharging the hot water tank refers to the solution to a problem from low water pressure, even though we have two tall towers for our water tanks. The pressure in my building seems adequate to deliver cold water to the taps, but the geezer is located up on the wall about 12 feet and the pressure is not always there to raise the water to that height, I surmise. When that happens, the hot water just stops. So to avoid this problem (this may not seem straight forward, but please hang in there) the best thing to do is to go to the adjoining room with a tub. Now you cover the dual tap for cold/hot water with your hand and then turn on the hot and then the cold water. Since the water can not come out the tap, the cold water is backed up into the geezer/geyser via the hot water outflow pipe. Now why, you might ask, will it go into the hot water tank that way and not the usual way? Well I don't know, but I do know the best way to predictably get a warm shower and that Africa holds many mysteries.

Going back to my room, I try to note the day, is it clear or cloudy and is it windy. Well you know about the wind since our slatted (jalousie) windows are not a big impairment to a breeze. It's still dark but you look for signs of clear sky indicating possible sunny day which might suggest lighter clothing. Give it you best bet and get dressed.

Breakfast consists of cold cereal and fruit. Recently my concern is the hot water for my tea. We suffer from regular and mostly predictable power outages. Lately they have been occurring at about the time those in the other houses are stirring and starting their day. The stove and hot water kettle are electric. Tea has only been delay a few minutes some mornings. The dishes are washed in cold water.

This is the time spent with my daily log. I read through 'yesterday' to see if I missed anything at the evening writing, making additions if necessary. And then start the current day with my weather report and any details I know that will make this day different from the others.

Putting my day together requires assembling all those things needed through the day, up until I return home at about 4:30 (16:00 hrs). This might include: special books, materials for science class, water bottle, etc.

I leave around 7:30 and walk to school, often joined by the early kids. Once in my class room, I try to put in order the things on my desk for upcoming classes, but my room seems a popular place to stop in for kids of all ages. Also because I try to keep the windows and door closed, my room is warmer and they come in for the warmth, but tend to leave the door open. So I am busy at the door. (Should explain that the classroom door only stays shut if locked, or otherwise one must jam just enough burlap bag [it also serves as a door mat] into the jamb to hold the door against the breeze). The kids are also immensely interested in my desk and everything on it. Hands are out constantly shuffling and reorganizing my things in what I am sure seems a helpful way. So I am busy at my desk. It often is with some relief to have the day's instruction begin.

We try to start with my reading a story, maybe 15 minutes with a very brief discussion of what is was about. This sometime requires, however, that I retell the story so that everyone understands what happened. A couple of the students though sharp, can't get much meaning from the spoken word despite my slow pace with constant interruptions to make sure certain words are understood. I most always start by saying please stop me if you don't understand what is happening in the story.

Math is the first subject of the day and usually begins with drills. We've been working on the 'times tables'. I put numbers down the board somewhat randomly (to keep them from reading off their copies of the times tables printed on every workbook they have) from 1 to 12, and then put the multiplier next to them, such as "8", and then point at the random numbers and they call out the answer to what 8 times that number is. I have gotten them up to 'speed' both to avoid using the time table charts and counting on their fingers.

We go from drill to their working at the board in groups. I have learned it is best to give them each different problems since none of them can keep their eyes off what is going on next to them. We start with simple problems which are repetitious of the previous drill then work up to multiplying 2 and 3 digit numbers. Several of the student are good at this, to the point that I occasionally get my math corrected by one of them. I should be embarrassed but instead I am immensely proud.

We are doing division problems as well, now at the end of math class for those who have mastered their times tables and as a goad to those who haven't.

After math, it's usually English class which includes spelling. These words are used in sentences, making sure they can pronounce them and know their meaning. Most are doing well as they should. For I have explained that no one should ever fail a spelling test. It is the only test that a teacher ever gives in which all the right answers are provided well before the exam. Some students want me to make the spelling more difficult, so I have added five more difficult words to the 10 words frequently found in our reading.

We are learning to identify a complete sentence including the subject and predicate. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are becoming more obvious. Reading and writing are two more activities. As an ESL teacher, I am hampered by not speaking, nor understanding the various languages these kids know and use.

Science class has involve looking at and dissecting flowers and fruit, drawing insects and identifying soil types. We are learning the metric system of measurements. I purloined a scale form the pantry of my house so we can weigh things. The Ithaca group sent us thermometers, the first that some children have seen. We all have rulers. So we measure the volume of boxes in cubic cms and determine the classroom floor area in square m. We have built a compost.

In Social Studies we have covered a large area of subjects from religion, over population, disease, farming, health, to local geography.

New to our curriculum is something called Technology and Creativity. And this is as broad as it sounds. Since I feel that I include technology in science class, I've tried doing more with creativity. We have molded objects from local (it's free) clay. But first they had to draw the object from three different perspectives. Now this took some explaining. One student couldn't get the idea of different perspectives and continued to repeat his drawing of the side of a truck. I finally took some clay and made a little truck and turned it, looking at it from the front and from above. No luck. I tried to get him to imagine what he would see while walking if a truck were coming towards him. I explained it to other students who understood and had them explain it to him in his language. Never got the second perspective I wanted but instead did get a most interesting Picasso-like drawing showing two sides of the truck at once.

The day includes a break at 10 and lunch at 1:00 and the end of instruction at 4pm. Since the other teacher have to walk some distance and catch public transportation, I hang around and see the kids off the school ground and on their way home.

On Thursdays last period my class has P. E. during which they play soccer for an hour. This is interesting to see how they interact on the pitch. In class they don't always get along smoothly. There are arguments, you took my pencil and the like. But on the pitch any signs of disagreement are gone and no fighting over whether a goal was scored or not. They play rough but with great freedom from cross words or fighting. It's a joy and a puzzlement.

Friday is testing day and we give exams in each subject. The school day ends at 1pm, the kids go home and the teachers work on lesson plans, etc. for the next week.

School breakfast is provided for non-resident children. Lunch is provided for children and staff.

After school I try to take a walk, since the classroom offers little real exercise. Then I headed home to check emails, read and catch some BBC news via the radio. At some point between 6:30 and 7:30 a group of boys will come for me from the house at which I am current eating. They take me to supper just in time to sit down and eat.

When the meal is over and the table cleared and wiped, the books come out and the listeners crowd around. Sometimes so tight, I can't turn the pages other times there may be as few as three. After about a half hour of reading, I excuse myself giving good-nights and walk home, noting the stars and the big dipper standing now on its rim on the horizon with no North Star. Occasionally I will turn 180 degrees to look at the Southern Cross or enjoy the moon shining on the metal roofs of the houses.

Home to writing my evening log entry and more reading, emailing, blogging. Finally I throw the large mosquito net with a grand gesture, but all I have ever caught is my bed. I must remember to recharge the geezer (you know all about that) and put on the automatic kettle which boils a liter of water and then shuts off, by morning it will be cold and become my drinking water for the day. And that's as exciting as it gets.

This is Sam Weeks blog pressing out of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment